- I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend! I didn’t accomplish much of anything – a birthday party Friday night, church on Sunday, a picnic, and a little housecleaning pretty much sums up our activities. Smoochy was home, and we three just lazed around the house.
- I tried to make a red velvet cake Sunday and failed miserably! Smoochy lamented the fact that I don’t make layer cakes anymore – he’s right. So I asked him what he wanted, and got all the stuff together to make a red velvet cake. I’d never had or made one, so I wasn’t sure what to expect. Let me tell ya – I knew the cake was red, but really, it was grosser looking when I added the food coloring than I was prepared for. Anyhoo, either the cake fell or it never rose. When I took my layers out of the oven, they probably weren’t more than an inch thick. Smoochy said it tasted right, but was just too dense (duh!). Honestly – I thought it tasted pretty bad too. Not sure I’ll try that one again – I am going to buy a new box of baking soda though. Usually my cakes are pretty good – don’t know what happened with this one – any ideas?
- My child is steadily working towards her advanced degree in DIVA-ology. When we left the park yesterday, she kept wailing “but we can’t go, we can’t go, the people – they’ll miss me.” Whatever little girl, I think they’ll be okay without you!!! The kid cracks me up :)
- T – I finally remembered to buy a box for the Baby Buttercreme – I am taking it to the post office tomorrow come heck or high water!
- I’m not eating any junk food this week. I’ve had terrible eating habits for the last few weeks – a combo of hormones and boredom i think. Anyhoo, I’ve got to get back on track, and there’s no time like the present. I’m also headed back to the gym, haven’t been in over a week – when I slip, I slip!
- Have I mentioned that I’m going to China in November?!?! Yeah, okay, I know I have. But I got excited all over again and thought I’d share.
- Not sure what I’m going to do about the computer issue – my brother is going to try and help me out. If that doesn’t work . . . my heart is saying “A.pple,” while my checkbook is saying “nuh-uh honey, think again.” I’n not financing another thing, so whatever we end up with will be saved for and paid for in CASH.
- I’m trying to do better and only buy things we really need. So, this weekend I bought Lovegirl two pairs of much-needed capris (why are the shorts for little girls so short?? Is it just me?). And then I bought myself a pair of not-so-much-needed wide-legged trouser jeans. I’m not sure the logic that I’m buying now so that when the economy gets really bad/gas hits $10 a gallon/whatever we’ll have what we need is sound, but the jeans – CUTE!
- Back to work I must go. Be well.
Whoo-hoo! I am so looking forward to this three day weekend. I may paint, I may picnic, I may take a road trip, I may veg out on the couch. Who knows? All I do know is that I plan on doing a major clean-a-thon this evening, and nothing else related to true housework for the remainer of the weekend.
- I can’t believe they’re making Callie gay on G.rays Anatomy! The show slipped a little for me early this season, but the last few weeks and last night’s season finale? Good TV I tell ya! I’m so glad Meredith and Derrick are back together. I’m almost ashamed at how much I care about these fictional people . . . almost.
- I’m going to Lovegirl’s school for the end-of-the year program in a few. She’s been given a verse (John 3:16) and I can’t wait to see how she does. She hammed it up at home practicing for the Christmas program, and then got on stage, refused to sing, mumbled, kept her eyes downcast, etc. I’m hoping that she fares better this morning – especially since she’s got a solo bit!
- My home computer is dead. A virus wiped us out. The computer guy from work came out and worked on it, but all he was able to do was retinstall XP. I don’t have any software, my iPod can’t be reinstalled because our OS is old, etc., etc. I was going to wait until I found about school to even think about a new computer, but it looks like I may be forced to make a decision sooner than I’d anticipated. I’m thinking maybe a laptop this go-round. Any suggestions? Is anybody an A.pple user? I’m thinking of giving up the PC.
- Anyhoo, I actually need to get a little work done before I head to Lovegirls’ school, so I’d better get out of here – I hope everyone has a wonderful Memorial Day weekend/holiday! Be safe. Be well.
Nine years strong!!!
If you’ve been reading this blog for any amount of time, perhaps you’ve picked up on the fact that I am NOT happy with my job. I am grateful to have one, but that’s about it. The only thing that was making my gig slightly palatable was the fact that I was going to go back to school (for free, courtesy of the job) and get my PhD in Epidemiology. Then, due to low enrollment/graduation rates and a departmental upheaval of sorts, the PhD program was cancelled. So, here I’ve been. Working as a secretary, royally pissed about it, applying for job after job, with no relief in sight.
I prayed that God would please send me something. I couldn’t/didn’t get any more specific than that. At this point, I didn’t even know what to ask for.
Today, I got to work and there is a new degree program scrolling through the announcements on the hospital’s splashpage – a Master’s – in Higher Education Administration, Student Services! I am so psyched. I was looking at the PhD in Higher Ed a while back, but couldn’t figure out how to do it since it’s in Oxford – nearly 3 hours away. So yep – I whooped when I saw the info this morning. I’ve called, talked to the program’s director, found out that the program is a combination of online courses and video courses that’ll be broadcast locally. AND if the program is successful, they’re considering offering the PhD in Higher Ed Admin online in a few years.
Looks like Nerd Girl is headed back to the hallowed halls of higher learning y’all.
I AM SO EXCITED!!!!!!!
***Update: I’ve got a “winner.” Congratulations – you know who you are!***
I won a tub of Ms. Jessie’s Baby Buttercreme from Afrobella a few months ago. I was planning to use it to style Lovegirl’s hair “out,” and was really excited to have won. 1st problem – I don’t think I really thought through the idea of styling a 3 year old’s hair out on a regular basis. Pure ridiculousness! 2nd problem – I don’t really like it. I’ve used it twice, and really, I prefer good old LIV that I can get at Sallys for $7. I was trying to be all natural and thangs, but this is just not the product for us. Maybe we’ll try some Carol’s Daughter products on her hair next.
Here’s the weirdness – I’d love to pass this stuff on to someone who can/will use it. We’ve only used it twice, and only on freshly cleaned hair – there’s no gross stuff floating around in it. Pinky swear. The stuff costs $58. We’re not ever going to use it again, but it pains me to throw away $58 worth of product, no matter how unimpressed I was with it.
If you’re not totally creeped out by this idea and want it – it’s yours. First come, first served. Just email (email@example.com) me with your address and I’ll eventually meander to the post office and send it your way. If you are totally creeped out by the idea of using barely-used, $58 a tub hair products . . .my bad!
Oh, if you’re still reading, here’s the link to the product.
Just wrong, on so many levels.
Some bar owner in Marietta, GA is selling “Obama in ’08” tshirts. The problem? Aforementioned slogan appears under a picture of a C.urious George looking monkey!
And I cannot stop laughing. I hope this is either a case of laughing to keep from crying, or my being in the early stages on dementia and can no longer recognize when laughter is totally, and completely, inappropriate.
Since y’all asked . . . the brand of sweet almond oil that I purchased is “H.eather L.oraine Cosmetics.” It was about $4 for 4 ounces. Let me know if/how it works for you if you try it – good luck!!!