So, I’ve been thinking that since I’m almost done with school (hallelujah!!!) I need to become involved with a ministry at church. I would like to work with the young ladies at church. There’s a group called “Girl Talk” which deals with young ladies and the issues they face on the daily. I think this would be an awesome group with which to be involved.
I don’t think I could only teach and advocate for abstinence. Yes, I know it is church work. Yes, I know the Bible says we should wait for marriage and there are consequences – very real consequences – for not doing so. But. The reality of it is that teens have s.ex. And if they’re going to have s.ex I think they should be well informed – about s.ex, the consequences, STDs, pregnancy, emotions, and birth control options. I don’t think this is giving “permission” to have s.ex – just making them aware of things should they choose not to wait. I’d rather they be well informed and have “safer s.ex” than to not know a thing and end up with who-knows-what, pregnant, or both.
Thoughts? Should Christian youths be taught s.ex ed in church or abstinence only? Should I find another ministry?
Never say never. Or so the adage goes. Last night I was thinking about some things I’ve done that I thought and/or said I’d never do….
Never would I…..
Allow my young child to watch TV. A lie! I’m so grateful for Nick Jr. I don’t know what to do. Yes, we play. We read. We go outside. And we watch age appropriate TV. Two thumbs up for children’s television!
Pay a bill late. Sometimes? We were short. Most often? I forgot.
Eat beef again. Those two hamburgers I ate last year were absolutely marvelous! I have no immediate plans to consume another, but I definitely won’t rule out the occasional foray into beef consumption.
Be all over the place. My parents are almost crazed with privacy issues. And for a long time, so was I. Yet here I am – blogging and facebooking in a not-so-anonymous medium. Eh.
Go to sleep with dishes in the sink. They’ll be there in the morning – I need my rest.
Bargain with God. I foolishly thought that only people who did really “bad stuff” ever approached the throne with “if you….then I’ll…”
Live in the South. Y’all already know how this turned out.
Fight over a man. Oh wait, I mean that one. Just can’t see it happening.
Anybody else care to share? I’m sleepy….
I had red lentil soup for the first time a few months ago and was hooked! I bought a measure of red lentils the next week and last night got around to making the soup. So easy, so good! Lovegirl and I had it with a grilled cheese sandwich, but you could easily build a heartier meal around this delicious, cheap soup.
1 cup of red lentils
1/2 an onion, finely chopped
a dash of olive oil
3 1/2 cups of broth – chicken or veggie, whichever you prefer
I diced the onion, sauteed it in a bit of olive oil until softened. Added the broth, the lentils and simmered until the lentils softened and fell apart. I added pepper and cumin to taste and that was it. OMG. I’m in love with a soup. The recipes I found online suggested finishing the soup with a bit of lemon juice, but I didn’t have any, so I didn’t. Next time, I’ll give it a try. I didn’t think it needed any salt because of the broth, your taste buds may beg to differ.
The whole deal took maybe 30 minutes total. It is healthy, quick, and cheap. Next time I’ll serve it over steamed rice with veggies on the side for a full meal and see if Smoochy will eat it.
Let me know if you try it and what you think – I’m buying more lentils today – this is definitely going to be a go-to recipe for me! I can see adding chicken or shrimp to it…the possibilities are endless.
And glad about it! I hope that this past week’s allergy/sinus attack was it for the year. I’ve felt like death walking for the last few days and am glad to finally feel as though I’m alive and well better.
Since I’ve spent the past few days in a NyQuil/Zyrtec induced coma, I don’t have much to blog about. Which, of course, isn’t gonna stop me from blogging. Enter, the beloved bullets.
- One positive about feeling less than? I’ve been sleeping like a baby ~ I hope it sticks now that I’m feeling better!
- I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again – mean people suck. It really doesn’t take a whole lot to be kind to people. Try it, you might like it.
- Lovegirl spent the better part of Friday night grooving to the silky soul sounds of Al Green on her CD player. I don’t know what to say about that kid of mine except that I really, really love her!
- Smoochy is downstairs cooking turkey necks and is going to truly be insulted when I don’t want to try them. He should know better by know.
- I have fallen off a bit with the Insanity workouts….time to get back on the saddle and dig deeper once again! I think I’m going to have to add in some weight training – Insanity is all about the cardio and I need to firm up these arms before I dare put on a sleeveless top this summer.
- Did you know that a little shaving cream spread on a kitchen table can keep a kid occupied for hours? You can thank me later.
- I just told Lovegirl to turn off the TV in the guest room. Her reply? “If you insist.” What?!?
- Why is everybody in my family mad because I keep telling them that we should have a birthday party for my grandmother this year and not wait until next year when she turns 90? Am I the only person who thinks planning a bday party for an 88 year old almost two years out is stupid not-so-bright? I’m just saying…..
- Hmmm, those turkey necks are starting to smell pretty good…
- Are maxidresses gonna be in again this summer? I sure hope so. If not, anybody want to sell me theirs from last summer? I realized too late how much I heart them.
- Mmkay, I’m rambling – I think that last dose of Nyquil has kicked in. Good night. God bless.
- I wrote this Saturday night and forgot to post it. Oops!
Aaaargh! I cannot get a good night’s sleep. This funky sleep pattern is killing me. Every night, without fail, I wake up around 2:30 or so and can’t go back to sleep. Last night, I added a twist. I didn’t fall asleep until after midnight and woke up at 2:36. So today? I’m operating on roughly 2 hours of sleep. The key word? Roughly. This cannot continue. I feel like crap!
Thumbs up: Health care for all!
Thumbs down: Hatred, rudeness and mockery. Learn how to disagree civilly. Or be quiet.
Thumbs up: Beautiful spring weather on Friday.
Thumbs down: Snow and freezing temps on Sunday.
Thumbs up: The series “Life” on D.iscovery.
Thumbs down: Oprah’s narration. Bring back the dude from National of Omaha….yeah, I know I dated myself with that one.
Thumbs up: All of y’all for your kind comments about my sweet girl and her wardrobe choices!
Thumbs down: My Mama for sending more headbands with which Lovegirl can jazz up her outfits.
Thumbs up: All things good and positive that are in store for the week ahead.
Thumbs down: People or circumstances that attempt to block the joy, happiness, and peacefulness of others.
It is the last day of Spring Break, the sitter is closed, and Lovegirl is at work with me today. I have accomplished sooooo much. Not! (Of course it is not totally Lovegirl’s fault, but hey, it sounds good)
For lunch I had the brilliant idea of riding the trolley car over to Brent’s Drugtore for a good old-fashioned soda fountain lunch. Coolio. The trolley pulled up in front of the hospital and Lovegirl about flipped. She was so excited! Score one for me and my brilliant idea! We went in, sat at the counter*, ordered and ate our lunch and went back outside to wait for the trolley to come back. And we waited. And waited. And waited. All while watching a presumably homeless man dig through a trashcan for food. He’d find something he liked, take a bite and keep digging. I offered him Lovegirl’s cheeseburger (I think she took 2 bites). He graciously accepted. And then threw it away! Did I just get dissed by a homeless dude? Anyway, I finally decided that I was tired of simultaneously waiting for the trolley, keeping an eye on the homeless gentleman in the trash and watching Lovegirl count rocks. So I decided to get some hitch in my step and that we would walk back to work. So we did. It only took about 15 minutes. And of course the trolley rolled by just as we were turning into the hospital. Oh well – we got to stretch our legs, admire the lovely spring day and count all the green cars we saw on the walk back – 3 if you care. And 3 if you don’t. Which, I totally don’t blame you for.
Anyhoo, that’s how we spent out lunch hour – a grand time was had by all!
*As a total aside? Not to knock the choices of those who paved the way for the rest of us, but I think I would’ve fought for something other than the right to consume a greasy turkey sandwich. Or maybe not…..
Tomorrow if the weather holds out, we’re heading downtown to celebrate our irish heritage by watching the St. Paddy’s Parade with 40 thousand of our dearest friends! Sunday we absolutely must go to church – we’ve been absent for about a month - and then if we’re not exhausted we’re going to a show choir thingie at a friend’s church Sunday evening. I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family and friends. Be well!
I’m not sure….but I think wearing a uniform has been cramping my girl’s style. Since she’s on Spring Break (rip-off!!!) I told her she could choose her outfit yesterday.
And if you’re wondering what a 5 year old spends her tooth fairy money on, here’s a hint….it can be found in the dollar bin at T.arget and adds a certain something to every girl’s outfit!!!
….and other nonsensical ramblings on a Thursday morning.
- Lovegirl is fixated on two things right now. The song “T.ootsie Roll” and Biz Markie. I feel like I drive a DeLorean and have gone back to the future. She heard T.ootsie Roll on the radio one morning and is now obsesessed with “that song that says woot-woot-woot-woot…” I dare not tell her there’s a corresponding dance. Oh wait, I did. I shouldn’t have – I can’t see myself teaching her how to cotton candy, sweet as gold… Her fascination with Biz Markie is thanks to the N.ick Jr. show Y.o G.abba G.abba. She wants to read a book about him. Um, yeah.
- Please tell me I’m not the only person who is physiologically unable to wear ear buds. I don’t get it. The stupid things fall out of my ears every time – surely my outer ear anatomy cannot be that different than 99.9% of the population??
- My S.tankonia CD is in! Okay, that was more a reminder for me to pick it up than it was for your reading pleasure.
- I have a mid-term tomorrow. I have no idea how I’m going to pull this one off. Do you know how exciting organizational theory is not? I’ve not been able to stay awake and read this mess at all. I’m going to put sticky notes on my forehead tonight and hope that osmosis is a more powerful process than I was taught oh so many years ago.
- There’s a strange golden orb in the sky today. I believe the ancient Incans referred to it as the sun. What a treat!
- Speaking of the sun – if your feet are not in order and ready for sandal season? It is time to start working on those bad boys. A daily once-over with a foot file while in the shower is a great place to start. If your feet are particularly rough, invest in a bottle of A.mlactin lotion. It contains acids which will help smooth rough patches on your feet and elsewhere. It’s a little pricey and smells horrible – I use it at night. You can find it behind the pharmacy counter. I feel a post about giving yourself a proper pedicure coming on. Jacked up feet are a big no-no in my world.
- My graduation from the University of Mississippi is May 8, though we don’t finish our coursework until some time in July. I was contemplating participating. Then I found out that Mrs. O.bama will be speaking at my alma mater’s graduation – Go UAPB – that same day. Hmmm. I’m conflicted. I wonder how difficult it will be to cop a ticket to this year’s graduation. And AR Gal? No comments about funky town. Or Crime Bluff. Or stankonia. Or….well, you get the picture. LOL!
- Smoochy bought me a new cell phone. It’s all touch screen fancy. I miss my old phone. It did what I needed it to do when I needed it done. I can’t figure out jack on this new deal.
- I gotta go. I’ll be discreetly studying from my desk. All day. Wish me luck. Pray that I don’t fall asleep at my desk!
Make it a great day!
Yeah, dig deeper. That’s what Shaun T likes to holler suggest during the course of the Insanity workouts.
Somehow I don’t think he meant me digging deeper into a stack of Thin Mints every time we got a water break. My bad.