1. I live in Mississippi.
2. I was born and raised in California.
3. I am happily married to Smoochy.
4. I am the proud mother of Lovegirl. She is the joy of my life!
5. I love, love, love fish tacos.
6. I am convinced that chocolate is overrated.
7. I am the oldest of 4 – and the only girl.
8. I love to read and am deeply saddened by the lack of current and good black fiction available. I do not want to read about your baby mama/daddy drama. That’s just not who or where I am.
9. My relatives are my favorite people in the world.
10. Prince is my absolute favorite musical artist. I went to see him in concert when I was 7 months pregnant, and even though I was secretly worried the noise levels would in some way harm my unborn child, I had to go. The Musicology Tour was da bomb!
11. I love the color purple, but would not be caught dead wearing it.
12. My greatest comfort comes from knowing that God loves me.
13. I went to a historically black university. The culture shock nearly did me in. I eventually transitioned from “Valley Girl” to “A Different World” quite nicely.
14. Old music = good music.
15. I had my last perm in April ’05
16. Chick-Fil-A is my fast food guilty pleasure.
17. I spend way too much money in search of the perfect everyday lipgloss/lipstick color.
18. I gave birth totally unmedicated. And didn’t feel a thing. Believe that!
19. I am a procrastinator to the nth degree.
20. “Imitation of Life” is my favorite movie.
21. I think Halle Berry is gorgeous – and that she’s not that great an actress.
22. Several swimming classes later, and I still can’t really swim.
23. One of my life’s goals is to visit each of the 50 states and every continent.
24. I go to spin class once or twice a week for my cardiovascular workout. I
hate don’t really like it. But I can’t stop.
25. I should be working right now.
26. I rarely paint my fingernails, but my toes are always done.
27. I do not like capri pants. I wish they would go away.
28. If I could, I’d wear jeans and a t-shirt every day.
29. I’ve never worked in the areas in which I hold degrees – biology or public health.
30. I’m contemplating a PhD.
31. I still don’t know what I want to do when I grow up. That scares me. I’m
32. I can’t believe the confederate flag cross thingie is part of the Mississippi flag.
33. I don’t eat beef or pork.
34. I want to live in or around Washington D.C. I don’t think it’ll ever happen.
35. I spend so much time in Target that the security guard asks if everything’s been okay if she hasn’t seen me in a while. “A while” is usually 2 days or so.
36. I don’t like clutter. But I still have quite a bit of it.
37. I think Don Cheadle is an awesome actor. I’d like to meet him.
38. I am scared of rats and mice.
39. I’m not a big Oprah fan.
40. I rarely wear makeup.
41. I tried contacts once. Decided I like my glasses better.
42. Poor grammar drives me batty.
43. I wish I were crafty.
44. I bake a mean pound cake.
45. I like pop music – old and current
46. I am buying myself a new wedding band which will replace my old wedding set. It is simpler and more “me” than my wedding set. I plan to give it to myself as a 35th birthday present in October.
47. I rarely drink soda, but when I do it’s all about Mountain Dew.
48. I can type over 100 wpm with few mistakes.
49. If I had it to do all over again, I think I’d be a nurse.
50. I’m a bit of a tea snob.
51. I love gerber daisies.
52. I wish I had a sister.
53. Casual dating never appealed to me. I can count on one hand the number of first dates I had that didn’t lead to a relationship.
54. The fact that most of these statements begin with “I” is driving me batty. Seems really self-centered. Even if this is 100 things about me.
55. Touring open houses is a favorite weekend hobby.
56. I am constantly challenging myself to be a more positive person.
57. In the 5th grade I was the “Frog Queen.” I caught over 50 frogs which we later dissected in science class.
58. Every year I say I’m going to the Essence Festival. Haven’t been yet.
59. I don’t drink. The idea appeals to me, the taste does not.
60. I had a huge crush on Adam Ant back in the day.
62. I skipped #61.
63. I used to collect black dolls.
64. I like yellow gold jewelry. I’ll never be on the silver/white gold/platinum bandwagon.
65. My first concert – New Edition and UTFO.
66. The dance piece “Revelations” by Alvin Ailey has moved me to tears.
67. I am an ugly crier.
68. In the 9th grade I tried to lighten my hair using Sun In.
69. My first college boyfriend threatened to hit me when we broke up. I picked up a pipe and started swinging like a mad woman. I didn’t hit him and he didn’t hit me.
70. Sometimes I wish I’d pleged a sorority.
71. I love watching the World Cup.
72. Popcorn with parmesan cheese is my favorite snack, but I don’t eat it often.
73. Whenever I’m at the LA Farmer’s Market I try a new cheese at Mr. Marcel’s.
74. Arial is my favorite font.
75. I like “kid” candy – Hot Tamales, Sour Patch Kids, Red Hots, etc.
76. Chewing gum is one of those things I just don’t get. What is the point?
77. I’m too lazy to eat crab legs.
78. Pleasant surprise – I’m a better mother than I thought I’d be.
79. My favorite gospel song is “Order My Steps.”
80. In 12th grade, I wore a bikini and trench coat to school and flashed random people throughout the day. I still have no idea what I was thinking.
81. I never understood how someone could kill another person until I had my daughter. I would quickly put a cap in someone’s ass if they harmed her.
82. I own a .38 special 5 shot revolver.
83. My shoe size is a 12A or 12AA.
84. I went to see Nelson Mandela when he did his world tour upon his release from prison. Awesome.
85. My name is Swahili in origin.
86. I have two middle names.
87. I saw Jefferson Airplane in concert.
88. I was in the audience when then-Governor Bill Clinton announced that he would run for President. The man really is charismatic.
89. I say “really” a lot.
90. My favorite sandwich is turkey on rye with swiss cheese, lettuce, tomato, and avocado.
91. Coming up with 100 things about myself is more difficult than I would’ve imagined.
92. My favorite vacation spot so far – Jamaica. Second – Venice.
93. The songs “Always and Forever,” “Family Reunion,” and “Always” grate my nerves.
94. Shhhhh don’t tell, but . . . “In the Trunk” by Too Short is one of my favorite rap songs. I wish there was a clean version I could put on my iPod.
95. ”Three Little Birds” by Bob Marley is my “happy song.”
96. I want to karaoke but haven’t worked up the nerve.
97. I’d rather be hot than cold.
98. I’ve never played an organized team sport. Or individual sport for that matter.
99. I carry a roll of toilet paper in my car.
100. I am finished with this list.
1. I live in Mississippi.