Today’s sermon was on repentance. The gist of it was that the same 5 sins that kept the Israelites from reaching the promised land are the same 5 sins that keep us from reaching our promised land – a life in which we live, work, and fellowship happily, freely and in accordance with the will of God.
1. Lust. Satisfying yourself at the expense of others. Lust is not necessarily sexual in nature.
2. Idolatry. Creating an image in your mind an image to which you can devote yourself. This one really hit home because we have a tendency to think of idols as statues and the like but really, idols can be anything – clothes, our homes, relationships, our children. We must be careful or we can find ourselves worshipping things &/or people.
3. Fornication. Sexual acts, thoughts, fantasies outside the will of God.
4. Tempting Christ. This is demanding that God do what is contrary to His will; asking for the blessings of God while enjoying the pleasures of sin.
5. Murmuring. Complaining, criticizing, fault finding, gossiping, spreading rumors.
There are no big and little sins – those distinctions are of man, not of God.
Our family Bible verse this week will be Psalm 19:14. “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in thy sight, oh Lord, my strength and my redeemer.”