- Had a perm since the beginning of time (5th grade I think)
- Decided in ’05, a few months after the birth of my daughter, to let the perm go and deal with my hair in its natural state.
- Last perm in April ’05.
- Went to the salon for a few months for stylings.
- Started getting braids – cornrows to the back – in November ’05.
- Unbraid hair, cut off some permed ends, get hair rebraided. Repeat until January 24th ’07. Cut out remaining perm. Had about 7 or 8 inches of afro at this point.
- January 25, 2007 go in for intial twists – start the dreadlocking process.
- That’s it. As of today, I’ve had my twists/locs in for 6 months. They’re starting to lock up and I’m pretty happy with them. My next step is to learn to twist them so that they look like the last picture in this post when I do them myself, and not like Sideshow Bob! (see post below)
Nikki – I hope that answers it for ya. I plan on posting more pictures of my hair journey, so stay tuned.
***Edited to add pics***
Picture 1: Permed – Christmas ’03 – Pregnant and didn’t know it yet 🙂
Picture 2: Braided to the back – Christmas ’05
Picture 3: June ’07 – Cruising and on my way to locking up