Don’t talk about it, be about it.
Don’t put off until tomorrow what you could do today.
Time waits for no man.
Procrastination is the grave in which opportunity is buried.
I believe all of the above to be true. And still I procrastinate. Taxes? We’re having them done today. Homework? I do it at the last possible moment. This morning? Washed and dried a load of clothes so my girl would have a long sleeved tshirt to wear to school.
I am through. I’m tired of running around trying to play catch up because I’ve put something else off – again. If I’m really honest about it, most of the “crises” in my life are self-inflicted. If I would get on top of my game – and stay there – my life would be so much better for it.
I have been procrastinating for a very long time and I’m declaring war on this very nasty habit right now. Not only do I need to get myself together, I also don’t want Lovegirl to think that being last-minute is okay. Even if I don’t say “procrastinating is okay,” my actions indicate that it is. This is definitely a habit I do not want to pass on.
So, I’ve drafted a list of “next steps” that I will be implementing to help me bid procrastination adieu.
- Pray about it. I’ve tried to break this habit on my own and have failed. Miserably. Time for divine intervention.
- Keep a running to-do list. Check it daily. Do one thing on it daily.
- Get back on my home/school schedule. Last semester I’d assigned myself certain tasks either home or school related to do every day. As long as I stayed on schedule, the house was pretty clean and my school related work was current. Now? Not so much.
- Accept that I am a morning person and not a night owl. If I tell myself “I’ll stay up late and do it” I am lying. My best bet? Designate time in the morning to take care of “little” things around the house.
Okay, that’s it. I don’t want to overwhelm myself and give up before I start.
Two side notes:
- I totally sent my girl to school today in red for “all red day.” Which I have now realized is next week. Did I mention she wears a uniform to school???
- I got thrown off on my pushups. I forgot to do an “exhaustion” test on Saturday (as many good form pushups as possible) and did it on Sunday instead. So this week I’ll do my pushups on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday and get back to MWF next week. This morning I did 12+17+13+13+17=72 (week three, column 2).