Last night, the tornado sirens went off and woke me up. So, did I do what common sense, experience, and all matter of meterologists would have me do? Did I immediately take my small child downstairs where we would be safe, avoid windows and stay tuned for more in-depth doppler radar reports? No sir, no ma’am I did not.
When I woke up to the sounds of the sirens I laid in bed for about 5 minutes trying to figure out what that sound was. Then I picked up the phone and called Pserendipity to ask her “do you hear that? What’s that sound?” I think she hit mute on her television and then confirmed that those were indeed tornado sirens I was hearing. So then I laid there for another few minutes while thoughts like “ugh, I should get up or something” ran through my mind. I finally got up and took Lovegirl downstairs and
threw lovingly placed her on the couch. I sat in my chair for a few minutes and then decided that I was not properly dressed for a tornado. If my roof should be ripped off and I found myself standing in the middle of the street I thought perhaps I should be wearing more than a tank top and my drizzawls.
So I went back upstairs and put on some jeans, a long sleeved tshirt and some socks. Then I decided that I’d rather have on my UAPB tshirt as opposed to my JSU tshirt. So I changed shirts. And went back downstairs where Lovegirl was still knocked out. I snuggled into my chair and then thought that I should go get my purse in case a tornado jumped off. I mean, I’d need i.d. and my debit card, right? So I went back upstairs and got my purse and phone charger (???). I settled back into my chair and started laughing remembering the time our house caught on fire and my grandma went back inside to get her purse. Then I called my Mom – the quintessential night owl – so she could keep me company as I waited out the storm. She was sleep. She mumbled something about calling me back later to check on us. Yeah, I’m still waiting for that concerned call.
Anyhoo, after a few episodes of the Golden Girls and more doppler radar information that I knew how to use I decided at about 1:30 a.m. that all was clear and I could get in the bed and get some sleep. And so I did. Until 3:30 when my eyes popped open and I watched infomercials until 5. When I promptly fell asleep. Only to be awakened at 5:01 by my alarm clock.
And how was your Monday night???
- Apparently this year? I’m making my own cranberry sauce. Thanks Pserendipity for planting the idea in my feeble little mind!
- Other items on the menu: cornish hens, dressing, collard greens, baked mashed potatoes, fake red lobster biscuits, individual sweet potato pies, cheesecake.
- I’m baking today. Cooking tomorrow.
- When you’re hot? You’re hot! Apparently I am sizzling. This older white man that I used to work with saw me in the halls this morning. He whistled, told me I picked up a little weight in all the right places and that I look damn good. I’mma start hanging out in the halls when I’m feeling down and need an ego boost.
- I want to see B.urlesque. Yeah, the movie with C.hristina A.guilera and C.her. Don’t judge me!
- Yay! My parents should be back on American soil in the next few hours. They’ve been halfway around the world – Amsterdam, Egypt, Turkey… they said it was fantastic and I have no doubt that it was. I’m glad they had a good time but I miss my Mama and I’m ready to talk to her on the regular again.
- Why is my child walking around sounding like a character in a Dickens novel? Her new word? Well, contraction? “Twas.” “Do you think ’twas cold the first Thanksgiving?” “I knew ’twas almost time for my bath, so I got my pajamas together.” Etc., etc. She is killing me!
- Does anybody like Bit-O-Honey candy? Smoochy and Lovegirl swear it is the nastiest stuff ever – I love it!
I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends. Take a few minutes to reflect on the many, many blessings in your life. God’s grace and mercy are but two of the things for which I am truly thankful this year. Be blessed!
He said: You look damn good to me! Just saying.
She said: Um, thanks. I think.
He said: Kinda awkward, huh? I’ve been wanting to tell you that for a while. But we’ve always been like brother and sister.
She said: Way awkward.
He said: I’m sorry. I just wanted to tell you. We still cool?
She said: We’re good.
He said: Damn. I’m sorry. You’re mad.
She said: I’m not mad. Just surprised. Wasn’t expecting that. From you.
He said: S***
She said: We’re good. Stop tripping. Now back to our regularly scheduled programming. We whipped y’alls ass. But neither one of us is going to the SWAC.
He said: I know, right? Who you got? Alabama or TSU?
She said: I’mma ride with Alabama on this one.
He said: You funny!
She said: Oh yeah. Hilarious.
Hell, maybe men and women can’t just be friends.
Yesterday, I wrote this: “All I want to do is get in the bed, pull the covers up over my head and pout the day away.”
This morning at about 3:00 I woke up feeling as though something wasn’t quite right. I looked in the mirror. My lips have swollen up to about 3x their normal size. All the better to pout with I suppose.
This has absolutely nothing to do with Christmas.
I am in a pissy, pissy mood. I don’t want to be bothered. With anyone. By anyone.
This is somewhat problematic as a) I do not live on a deserted island b) Smoochy and Lovegirl aint trying to hear that c) I work for a living d) I signed up to help a bunch of chirrens pick out and buy books at the bookfair at Lovegirl’s school. Today.
All I want to do is get in the bed, pull the covers up over my head and pout the day away. Instead, I’ll be arguing the merits of one $3 Scholastic book over another with a little kid who probably didn’t wash his/her hands before they came to the bookfair.
Pray. For. Me. And my pissy mood.
On other totally non-related, but all B.ravo related notes: How awesome is RHOA? I love them broads! I am not enjoying T.op Chef J.ust Desserts – I don’t like any of the contestants. None of ’em. I am soooo looking forward to T.op C.hef All Stars. OMG!!!
Another aside: Sometimes dessert and desert still confuse me.