- Ferguson, MO. My heart hurts that we are STILL fighting this battle. That we are STILL being killed like dogs in the streets by police officers and then blamed for our own deaths. I am filled with rage. Yep, rage. And I’m tired of folks and their “respectability politics.” Wearing a suit, getting one degree or five of them does not, in a racist’s mind, mean one damn thing. They will gun your degree holding, suit wearing self down in a heartbeat. Ask Dr. King. Or Malcolm X.
- Okay, woosah, what else…
- LG started school a few weeks ago. My goals for her this year: establish a schedule/routine for her and stick to it. I am the worst with follow through, but am working hard on resolving this. So far, so good. Come home, do your homework, eat dinner, sweep, tidy up and then, if there’s time, you can chill/watch TV until bed time. She doesn’t like it, but oh well. Mama’s gotta do what Mama’s gotta do!
- I start school next week. My nerves are somewhat settled and I’m just praying for a great semester in which I do not procrastinate and drive myself crazy. Okay, crazier.
- I thought I was going to take one class and kind of ease myself back into the whole school thing. Nerp. Apparently receiving financial aid means I’ve got to take a minimum of 6 hours a semester. So much for the whole gentle transition. This semester I’m taking two classes: Disease Pathogenesis & Risk Factors and Environmental & Occupational Health. One lady – with whom I attend church – is taking four classes and working full time. She must be crazy!
- Speaking of financial aid – those folks offered me a WHOLE lot more money than I will need for the year. I see how this madness works. Not falling for the okey doke. Just loan me enough for tuition. Though we do need some work done around the house…I kid, I kid. Not really. Okay, really.
- Went to the Jackson R&B Festival this past weekend. Saw Boney James, Estelle and Ziggy Marley on Friday night. Two of them were awesome. Estelle, was not. Saturday I saw Chrissette Michelle, BBD & Fantasia. Two of them were so good and so much fun. I’m still not a Fantasia fan. Oh well. It was supposed to be girl’s night out, but one girl was absolutely terrified to walk through the gates by herself so she brought her husband. Sigh.
- I also drank some spiked iced tea and fell asleep. Outside. Surrounded by thousands of strangers. While Fantasia was on stage hollering. #ridiculous
- I ended up sitting next to an older gentleman on Saturday. He kept calling me “young blood” and told me “they” told him to contact me. Uh…
I guess that’s it. I started this on Monday. I feel like I’m leaving a lot of stuff out. Maybe next time. Be well!